Week 3 – It’s all ours…
Up goes our hoarding – isn’t it beautiful…
As strange as it sounds now our site is a real building site! I have lost count of the amount of times I have walked, driven or cycled past a building site wondering what was going on behind that hoarding, now we have one of our very own! We can open our gates to reveal this:
We are certainly in that early phase where a lot of work is going on for not much visual result. A lot of the guys’ time this week was spent on building foundation blockwork and a retaining wall on the side of the site where the height to our site differs.
The target for this upcoming week is getting the slab in place. The groundworks should come to an end and service pipes will then be put in place in readiness for the slab.
After this is done we will redistribute the remaining clay/mud into some of the holes from which it came; those which are not now filled with foundations. Sadly, this lovely garden will be no more….
The site will then hopefully become a little more level and enable us to move toward the next stage of the build.
You can see from the photos though that the sun has been out giving the guys’ hands a little welcome respite, from the previous zero degrees (or thereabouts) temperatures!
Hopefully be the end of the week I will see my builder again too…as he remerges from a mountain of CSH paperwork. As you will know we are required to meet CSH level 4 but I don’t think any of us realised how much paperwork and box ticking is involved, much to the grumblings of the builder.
Comments like ‘I just want to get on and build the house…’ show the frustration growing inside him – hopefully he is out the other side of the initial stockpile and it helps to get us to the result we need at the end.
On the budget and timing side we are still holding at about 2 weeks behind schedule after our rocky start. The bulk of extra time and cost has been from the more extensive retaining wall needed on the right hand side of our site. As a result we find ourselves about £2,000 over budget so far (a month in). I think we have scope to claw some of that back in the next 2 weeks. I think if we can get out of the groundworks phase in a similar financial position we will have done very well.
On a final and very sad note my partner, architect and builder in this project received devastating news this week that his father has lost his battle with cancer. He will be returning to spend time with his Mum and other family and support them during this difficult time with some of the duties that are required.
We have made the decision to shut down the site for about a week and a half, given the critical timing of the timber frame due to arrive on site in this time window and the inevitable decisions that will need to be made along with that.
We sennd him and his family all our thoughts and wishes through this difficult time.